Friday, March 2, 2012

And so it begins... The 2012 Yak Attack, Nepal.


The 2012 TORQ Yak Attack. Nepal.


Namaste!

So it’s actually going to happen! The registration event went off promptly at 12 noon today in the beautiful sunshine, in the equally lovely garden of the Kathmandu Guesthouse. As you might expect I turned up promptly (5 minutes late) at the Dawn til Dusk mountain bike office to register; completely the wrong place! So I slipped in to the garden, blended in with the crowds and tried not to look like I had turned up late.
Phil Evans gave a brief for the assembled competitors, the press and the gathered throng.

Phil Evans giving the pre-race briefing at the Kathmandu Guesthouse.


The competitors were then called up in turn to collect their race number and Torq Fitness gift pack (Event Sponsor).
I asked fellow rider Paul Topham to take a few photographs for me when it was my turn. Now it’s really lucky for me that I’m not superstitious; I was handed number 13! I had to laugh.

It really could only happen to me!


Each competitor was then requested to give a short interview to nepalsutra.com who are covering the event online with video footage etc. I’m not sure what they thought of me when the interviewer asked if I had a message for everyone at home; I smiled at the camera, gave a little wave and said “Hopefully I’ll still be alive!”.
We then had a very nice, informal garden party where the competitors mingled and chatted for a while. And that was it really; everyone slowly dispersed to carry on with their own preparations.

Roll on tomorrow! 



Competitors at the briefing.


Neil Cottam chatting with Phil Evans at the registration desk.


You just couldn't make it up! My "lucky" race number.



No comments:

Post a Comment